This file contains release notes on the ASN2TXT 2.3 release.
ASN2TXT (ASN.1 to text translator) is a command-line program that is used to translate data encoded using the ASN.1 BER/CER/DER or PER encoding standards to various text formats. At the time of initial release, ASN2TXT supports translating data to XML (all encoding rules) and to CSV (BER/CER/DER).
All CSV translations require an associated ASN.1 schema, since the data are placed into columns corresponding to schema fields. XML translation may proceed without a schema if needed.
Users are encouraged to consult the documentation in the
docsubdirectory for information regarding the transformation of input BER/CER/DER/PER files into text formats.
Up to date change log information is made available on our website.
Documentation for this release is provided in the
docsubdirectory of the installation.
The steps to install ASN2TXT on a Windows system are as follows:
- Download the ASN2TXT package distribution file.
- ASN2TXT for Windows is packaged in a self-extracting executable file format. To install, all that should be necessary is to double-click this file after downloading and then following the setup wizard instructions.
A license activation key was sent in the E-mail message that was sent at the time the product was downloaded. If you did not receive the key, please contact us. Use the command option -lickey <key> to enter this key value.
NOTE: An internet connection is required to activate a license using the key. If it is not available, contact us for a license file.
ASN2TXT should now be operational. Refer to the ASN2TXT User's Guide document in the doc subdirectory for instructions on how to run the program.
The following subdirectories contain the following files (note: <installdir> refers to the installation directory that was specified during the installation process):
- The asn2txt program executable file.
- This directory contains the ASN2TXT User's Guide file asn2txt.pdf file.
- This directory contains a collection of common ASN.1 specification files from existing standards that have been used with the tool.
- This directory contains sample programs containing encoded BER/DER message files (these files have a '.dat' or '.bin' extension) and corresponding ASN.1 schema files (these have extension '.asn'). ASN2TXT can be used to translate these files to text formats. A perl script (asn2txt.pl) is provided to test the translation of all files to text formats.
- This directory contains sample data containing PER message files and corresponding ASN.1 schema files. ASN2TXT can be used to translate these files to XML. A Perl script is provided for this purpose.
Report problems you encounter by sending E-mail to email@example.com. The preferred format of example programs is the same as the sample programs. Please provide a message file and an ASN.1 syntax file and also indicate where the problem occurs.
If you have any further questions or comments on what you would like to see in the product or what is difficult to use or understand, please communicate them to us. Your feedback is important to us.